Pancakes22 October 2017
This recipe makes six large, fluffy, American-style pancakes. Replacing the milk and yoghurt with buttermilk yields a very similar texture.
- For two servings:
250 g plain flour (about 1⅓ packed cups)
A generous tsp of baking powder
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 egg, separated
225 ml milk (a scant cup)
115 g thick plain yoghurt (2½ large tbsp)
Pinch of salt
Unsalted butter, for cooking
- Whisk together the dry ingredients before gently incorporating the egg yolk, milk, and yoghurt.
- Beat the egg white to stiff peaks, then gently fold in to the batter.
- Melt a small knob of butter in a pan over medium heat (I use level 5 on a stove ranging from 1–9). Cook two pancakes at a time, flipping once the tops are covered in small holes.
- Serve with maple syrup or your favourite topping.
- If adding chocolate chips, blueberries, or another fruit, use two eggs, or one egg and an additional white.